GG's Divine Queer Posse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not harassing Nathan [Joule, Phoenix]

2 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Not harassing Nathan [Joule, Phoenix] - Page 3 Empty Re: Not harassing Nathan [Joule, Phoenix]

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:07 am

Normally Joule would not be able to perform the trick that he did, at least not if they had been in a completely unfamiliar setting. But he happened to know precisely where he had left his notebook, and he remembered the layout of the house, so it had made things infinitely easier. When it came to his powers, he attempted to learn as much about them as he could in order to use them, but ultimately he was best at using them instinctively. He couldn't explain how he knew how to guide the notebook exactly through the halls, but he could feel it.

"Sheet...? Formulas...? Math?" The face he pulled became progressively horrified with each word uttered. "Eeeer. Thanks but no thanks.
Joule
Joule
Admin

https://divinequeerposse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Not harassing Nathan [Joule, Phoenix] - Page 3 Empty Re: Not harassing Nathan [Joule, Phoenix]

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:20 am

Nathan laughed, nodding his head. "Yeah, figured you wouldn't want to go into the mathematical part. But, I guess we can move onto Newton's Laws then..." Nathan trailed off looking at his alarm clock, his brow furrowing. "But that'll have to wait for another day. I have to go do some stuff now."

Things that he'd rather not have his teammates find out about. Nathan turned to face Joule, smiling apologetically. "But we can continue tomorrow if you want? Because I really have to go do this stuff. Can't really put it off, unfortunately."
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 am

"Oh yeah, that's fine. It's actually time for me to take my- err I mean well I should go do my exercises y'know?" He let out a nervous laugh. "But tomorrow, tomorrow is cool. We could do it in the garden or something, someplace nice anyway. Not that your bedroom isn't nice. But. Y'know. Anyway! Um... Thanks."
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:29 am

"Yeah, gardens aren't a good idea," Nathan said with a light laugh as he grabbed his bag and tossed it over his shoulder with a lopsided grin.

"But yeah, see ya," he said while giving a little half wave and leaving the room. He had things to do and he was running late, and that wasn't a good thing. In the back of his mind, the voice chuckled at him and began mumbling things, much to his annoyance.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Joule wondered back to his room, thinking about what had just happened. Had Nathan really just agreed to help teach him physics? Had he really just heard him play? It all seemed strange to him, and most of all how he had actually enjoyed himself. He was looking forward to seeing Nathan again.

As he reached his room, he picked up one of his guitars and began to play, soft smile on his face.
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Nathan didn't return until late that night, and since he hadn't really felt like explaining to anyone why he had been away for so long, he had gone straight to his room, going to bed.

Of course, when morning rolled about, Nathan was up with the sun and had settled himself in the kitchen to flip through his old textbooks, already planning what he would need to teach Joule about next once the other had the time for the lessons, of course.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Joule tried to play it cool. He acted like his usual self, and restrained himself from asking Nathan to continue his lessons right away. He didn't want to appear desperate, after all. In reality, he had spent every waking moment when he wasn't training reading about physics and taking notes. His notebook was filled with some of the same notes written down several times, as he often forgot what he had read, and went back to it. It was a grinding process, but nothing could get Joule more motivated than the potential of improving his powers.

When he was confident that enough time had passed, he dared approach Nathan again.

"Yo Nathan. How's it going?"
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:48 pm

"Hm?" Nathan looked up from his book, blinking before a smile pulled the corners of his lips up as he recognized Joule.

"Oh, morning! Have a good night?" Nathan asked brightly, practically the golden poster child of a morning person. He had his book open to Newton's Laws, figuring that they would be the best to move onto for sure. He hoped Joule had gotten a good night's sleep since he knew first hand how hard it was to absorb information when tired.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:13 pm

"Yeah it was..." he blushes for a moment, "it was a good night. How about you?"

Nathan looked like his usual happy self. As an experienced wearer of masks, however, Joule couldn't help but wonder just how much of it was an act.

"Oooh Newton, that dude was rad. You gonna teach me about him? I've been reading stuff too."
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Nathan shrugged his shoulders, busying himself with taking a drink from his glance of room temperature orange juice. "It was fine. Was pretty tired so just slept the night away," he finally said, smile still in place.

"Well, I'm going to teach you about his laws, not him. I mean, I actually could give you a fairly good lesson on Newton himself, but that won't really help you out much with physics or your powers," he said laughing lightly. He flipped back a few pages, a dopey grin on his face. "So, do you know anything about Newton's laws? Or is this going to be like scalar and vector where I have to start at the beginning?"
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:42 pm

"Aww well, I guess it wouldn't make sense, teaching me about the actual person. Though to be honest, I already know a fair amount about his life. And his laws, pfff, that's easy stuff! I've totally got it! There's... uh... three of them laws. First one's about like when a thing isn't moving, it isn't gonna move unless you make it move, or if it's moving with a set speed and direction and there's no wind and stuff it'll keep doing what it's doing unless something happens to it. Right right? Forces and stuff. Oh oh and the second one is the FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST LAW!!! Or at least that's how I remember it cause it's fma or something. And the third one's..."

He scratched his head, his memory going blank for a moment, before continuing. "Oh yeah so if I hit a thing the thing is gonna hit me back like with the same power I hit it with except, y'know, in my direction."

He stood there proudly. "See? I'm practically an expert."
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Nathan blinked. He... He just blinked. Had... Had Joule just said that the second one was the Fullmetal Alchemist Law? The Law of equivalent exchange. He opened his mouth, and then shut it, shaking his head.

"Well, you got two out of three kind of right. Every object in a state of uniform motion, be it actually moving or at rest, tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it," Nathan said holding up one finger.

"Second law. Nothing to do with Fullmetal Alchemist. Not the law of equivalent exchange. The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force is force equals mass multiplied by acceleration."

"And the third law is similar to the law of equivalent exchange and if you hit a thing, it hits you back. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," he finished up, holding the right amount of fingers for each law as he explained them.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:57 pm

"Oooh dude, no no. I didn't mean the law of equivalent exchange! I literally meant fma. F= m*a. It's just something I use to remember it by!" Joule laughed at the confusion.

"And anyway, my descriptions of the other two were pretty spot on I think," arms folded, he winked at Nathan and took a seat beside him.
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 pm

"You probably should have that first," Nathan said with a small laugh as he shook his head. Well, at least Joule had known it, even if he had described it in a funny way. And a nerdy way. It was kind of cute that the other had used an anime to memorize one of the laws. "Otherwise I'm going to think you're just a big anime fanboy. But yeah. Hit the nail right on the head."

"Now, since your definitions were so spot on, I can assume you know about inertia, right? And what it is?"
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Joule had to use many tricks to remember everything. He couldn't even understand how his own brain worked - some things he remembered for years, and others he forgot within seconds. To make matters worse, no matter how hard he trained it, his memory seemed to only get worse with age. For crying out loud, he was only twenty-four. Normal twenty-four year olds didn't have to worry about things like that. Then again, normal twenty-four year olds couldn't manipulate physics either.

"Inertia... Inertia inertia... That definitely rings a bell. It's like when an object doesn't wanna change what it's doing...? Kind of...?" He fumbled through his notes for a moment, searching for keywords. "So when it's moving in a set way it won't want to change and you need to apply force and stuff for it to change how it's moving....?"
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Nathan smiled, nodding his head. "Yeah, that's inertia. Good job!" he said smiling brightly in encouragement. Positive reinforcement did miracles, and he knew it generally had the best outcome. All smiles and sunshine in a world of grey really stood out. Even if it had to be faked from time to time.

"Now, the old idea was that it was normal for objects to want to stay at rest. However, this isn't true. An object wants to stay in whatever state of motion it's currently in. So, if Kade decides to flop over in the hallway and go to sleep there, it's going to take a lot of pushing to get him to move," Nathan said. "So, what elements do you think would affect the state of an object's motion?"
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:32 pm

"God don't even get me started on how difficult it would be to move him. I swear that man-" he cleared his throat. "A-anyway. What elements? I guess you don't mean fire, earth, air and water huh? Ummm.... Well do you mean in like the real world? Because physicists are weird, in all their theories they assume the object is in some kind of void which is great and all but not at all practical."
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:41 pm

"It's great for if you need to understand how they work before applying them to real world problems. In a vacuum, you don't have to worry about things such as friction affecting the movement of a ball down a slope, for example," Nathan said, chuckling softly. "You see, friction is actually designed to keep all objects at rest. Unless something with a completely smooth surface is moving along some with a smooth surface, friction will always be there."

Nathan pointed to a diagram which showed all the forces acting on a ball rolling along a flat surface.

"Gravity, friction, all of these are forces, and there's plenty of them. They're the various elements that affect objects. And depending on each situation, they affect it differently. Like, if you're braking a car, friction is good. Dragging a body out of the hallway so people can walk through it? Not good."
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:51 pm

"OH. I know all about friction." A mischievous smirk crept up on his face. "I have had a lot of practice in the department of grinding and friction between two objects."

"So this is all great in theory and stuff but how do I USE it? I can already control gravity and stuff so..."
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Nathan felt his smile falter for just a second before returning full force. Of course, he should have expected Joule to make a sexual remark at some point. And to be honest, Nathan had started off with friction. He had set himself up for this.

"This is useful," he said, shaking his head somewhat. "If you understand this, you can have better control over this and possibly learn to use your gravity powers in new ways. After all, friction isn't caused by gravity. It's caused by something dragging against something else. Like rubbing your hands together. It causes heat."
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:00 pm

"Or rubbing other things together..." This time he managed to contain his comment to a mutter.

"Well if you say so... In what ways do you mean? What other ways are there? And how will knowing about friction help me? Okay okay I'm listening."
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:06 pm

"Well, you know about gravity and stuff like that, but if you realize that air currents and stuff like that are still affecting the objects you are levitating," Nathan began, picking up his glass of orange juice as though levitating it, "then you can know how to cancel it out and use your powers more effectively and without using as much energy."

It was simple, really. It was like making a car more aerodynamic. It paid off even if it took a bit more time than usual to make.
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 pm

There were a few seconds of silence, then a nod.

"That's a very good point. But how would I be able to tell what kind of currents there are to cancel them out? Then again, I suppose I could sense their speed and negate it, but it sounds awfully more complicated... Also, as I-"

Joule paused. He looked at Nathan, confused expression on his face.

"-uh. Sorry. But. What... What was I just saying?"
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Now it was Nathan's turned to look confused. Why was Joule asking him what he had just been talking about? Did Joule forget mid-sentence? Nathan's brow furrowed and without thinking he put a hand to the other's forehead.

"You don't remember?" he asked, slightly worried. Was Joule sick? Maybe he was actually sick with a powered bug this time? Nathan hoped not. He was still worried about the other's health, especially after the stroke. "Are you feeling okay? Are you dizzy? Nauseous?"
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Joule Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Joule batted the hand away and took a step back, looking irritated, more out of embarrassment than anything.

"I'm fine it just happens sometimes. Just... Stop acting so worried and on edge around me. I don't want you treating me any different. And I'm feeling fine. This is just a thing that happens. It's why I keep my notebooks everywhere. So anyway. Speed... Friction... Currents...?"
Joule
Joule
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next